Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Awaiting summer and all its glory!

I think I have around three and a half weeks of school left plus finals week. That doesn't seem possible. The days are going by really fast and last week went by like a blink. It's when I sit in the classes that I don't like that make it seem like the end of school will never get here. But I know that I don't have much longer left. And for this I am so thankful.

I'm considering changing my major, again. For a long time, before I ever graduated high school, I wanted to teach English. Then I decided against it because I didn't want to go back to school after getting out of school, even if it was just to teach. To be honest though, I have no desire to go into Public Relations. I think the reason why I wanted to double major in that with writing was because I thought it would be easy to get a job and it would help me get a start in writing. But I've never dreamed of working in that field, and to be honest, I can't see myself doing that when I get out of college.

Two nights ago, my roommie and I watched this movie called "Freedom Writers" starring Hilary Swank. This movie was amazing. It reminded me of why I had ever wanted to teach in the first place. I even looked at the hours on our school website and it would be totally manageable. I also think it would put my parents a little more at ease. Not that I should pick my career based on what my parents think, but with the way the economy is, we have concurred that it will probably be easier finding a teaching job than a PR position. Plus, I will have summers off to write, and I would have holidays and weekends off with my kids. I know I have to be wise about my decision, which I will because I will consult God about every step of making it, but I also think that using common sense is wise in a matter like this.

I'm still praying about it though. I'm going to talk to one of my high school teachers who made an impact on my life and ask her how she knew she was supposed to teach. I told God a long time ago that I would do whatever it was he wanted me to do. I don't even know if teaching is the career he has for me or not. But thinking about teaching leaves me with a greater peace than PR.

I started reading this book by Frances J. Roberts called Come Away, My Beloved. I had never heard of it until one of the girls who I know here at college found a copy and posted an exert from it on facebook. Once I read that, I knew I had to have it and I ordered a copy from Amazon. It's probably one of the best books I've ever read. It's written as if God is speaking directly to you in an intimate and personal way. There are times I just want to cry because it's so breathtaking. The book is the original version of it, so the language is old English written with all the "thee's" and "ye's." But I love it. I'm also reading like four other books right now that I hope to finish soon along with all the reading for my classes. Then I also have books I haven't even started that I want to read. I wish I had all the time in the world to just sit and read and write. I would have to take breaks to sleep, eat, and work-out, but other than that, I would be set.

Anyway, I hadn't blogged in a while and I just wanted to catch up. Today is beautiful, and it's just a taste of the beautiful summer God has coming my way.

Hope your day is beautiful and gorgeous too.
God Bless.

3 comments:

Lea said...

That's awesome Jana. Keep praying about it. God will definitely lead you in the direction He has for you.

This evening after dinner, I was going through some old pictures, showing this boys and Paul some pictures of Dancer and Zoe when they were babies. The pile I picked up also had a bunch of pics from our trip to Disney. It was fun looking through them. I can't believe how much you guys have all grown up since then:). My how time flies. I know it is hard, but try to treasure every moment of your college experience. It will be gone in a flash.

Love to you, dear niece.
Lea

Katlyn said...

I knew you would love that movie! :) I will definitely be praying for you. Trust me, I know how hard it is trying to determine your major--and everything you have to do once you've figured it out. I can't believe it's almost summer either. But don't wish for it too fast (well, wish for the classes to be finished lol)...because we gotta fit a lot of us time in! I'm going to miss you so much!

Love you!

Aubrey said...

I LOOOVEE that movie too!!...IT's amazing!...lol.
I can't wait for you to be done with school, but I think my reasons may be a little selfish!..lol. Can't wait to see you!!..
LOOOOOOVEEEE YOOOOOU!