Sunday, August 22, 2010

My Home Away from Home

I returned to college today. This is the third time I've moved into the same room, and it almost felt like I was a freshman all over again. My friend Mel came up to the room and met my parents, and she also helped me unpack a few things in my room. I just love that girl. She's so sweet and fun.

Then Tarah and I hung out for awhile and just chatted and caught up on a lot of things. I've missed her so much. She helped me hang some posters in my room. She's so bubbly and full of life. I love to laugh with her.

After I dropped Tarah off at her apartment (because she had ridden with me to the dorm), I went to my college pastor's house to see Mel. (She was my college pastor's wife's roommate in college, so now she rents a room in their house.) We got to chat and just relax. I hung out at (we'll call it D and L's house) D and L's house all the time last semester, so just getting to sit and relax was so needed. It was also so nice to feel warmed and welcomed back into their family. That even though we've had three months of summer between us, nothing has changed.

It feels so good to be back. I know without a shadow of a doubt this is where God wants me right now. And I'm so happy to be here. I'm so blessed with a plethora of loving friends that God has so richly provided.

Tomorrow my parents are coming to church with me, and then afterward we'll probably go out to eat somewhere. Then they'll go home. But I will stay here. When I was freshman, I was told that for awhile college wouldn't feel like home, but neither would home. And then after awhile everywhere starts to feel like home. I agree with that. My home feels like home, but this dorm room that I've occupied for the past two years is also my home. My college pastor's house is my home. That hotel in South Asia that we stayed at for two weeks is my home. Home is where the heart is. And maybe I've left bits of my heart everywhere I've been. So maybe I should've entitled this post "My Home (Not) Away from Home"?

Classes start Monday, and then it's back to the grindstone. But I'm glad. I've missed the routine. And I can't wait to see what God has in store for this year.

Until next time,
God Bless

1 comment:

Lea said...

Hi dearie,

Good to see you back. I've missed your posts. It was so nice to read your post and see how warm and inviting going back is for you now. You should go back and read what you wrote when you first went away to school and see how far you have come.

We will miss you but so glad we were able to spend some time with you while you were home. I hope your first week back goes very well.

Much love,
Lea