Thursday, July 23, 2009

Dedicated to Those

God has been teaching me so much lately. I've just recently read a book entitled I am not but I know I Am. It was written by Louie Giglio, and it is such a great book. It talks about how the story is not about us. The story is about God and we are just supporting roles in His story. It's truly a life-altering book. It's a quick read, so if you get the time, I suggest you find it.

God has been showing me lately how he wants every aspect of my life. He wants my dreams, my plans, my hopes, my desires, and everything that arises with life. For the longest time, I've worn a purity ring that is a symbol of how I am saving myself for my future husband. But over time I've realized that certain aspect of purity is only a portion of the purity God wants me to have in my life. God wants the movies I watch, the music I listen to, the T.V. shows I watch, the words I say, how I spend my time; he wants it all to be pure.

And so all of this has got me to thinking. I know that when I was in high school I came across as Miss Goody Two Shoes and maybe a little rude. If I was ever that way to you, or if I came across as better than anyone, I want to apologize. I didn't mean to be that way. I have just been raised in a very sheltered way, and it was difficult for me to relate to people who did not have the same moral standards as me. I know that may seem like narrowmindedness, but in a way, I think that was what Christ called us to have. Go with me on this for a second.

Christ called us to walk the straight and narrow. Yet he also called us to love everyone, no matter what their background or level of moral standards or whatever. So how does a follower of Christ who wants to please God with every aspect of their life live that pleasing life while being acceptable to the world? I don't think the word there is "acceptable." Christ tells us in Luke that we will be hated on his account. Maybe in a way, with our love we can be more appealing. But I honestly don't think that Christ's goal for his followers was for us to be popular and fit in with the world. I think he wants us to love the world, but I don't think he wants us to condone the world's behavior and talk like the world and walk like the world to win the world's approval. Christ called us to be in the world, but not of the world.

So I take this opportunity to dedicate this post to those who I may have offended or hurt or snubbed. But I don't apologize because I hurt your feelings. I apologize because I didn't love you the way Christ would've. I was probably too uptight in high school, and I may still be too uptight now. But I think God wants to draw the line when it comes to our moral standards. If mine are too extreme for you, then I'm sorry. My goal in life is to please God. If I was too uptight or harsh in high school, I'm sorry. But following God calls us to walk the straight and narrow, dying to self and taking up our crosses and following Him.

I don't know if any of this made any sense. I hope I didn't come across as too high and mighty. But it's just something that's been on my mind lately. I will take a stand for Christ even if it means being a little too old-fashioned in my beliefs. I don't long for the applause of mere men. I long for the applause of my awesome God.

Until next time,
Jana

2 comments:

Lea said...

Great post Jana.

Unknown said...

I really liked this, Jana.
You're so freakin' wonderful.
-Larissa