Sunday, October 11, 2009

The Makings of a Man

Before I start the main topic of this post, I must say that this week went a little better for me than last week did. It might have been because both of my parents came to visit me, and I was very busy with homecoming stuff that I didn't have much time to think about me. Today at church was much better as well. I tried a new church today where the majority of the people who attend are college students. Almost every face I saw was a familiar one, and it really helped my overall attitude a lot.

What I want to talk about in this post was inspired by what I saw at church today. The church that I attended this morning had a time for people to come to the front of the church and just share with the church what struggles were hindering their walks with Christ. It was kind of testimonial, but also just being real and lifting one another before the Lord. There was prayer for almost everyone who stepped up and shared what was on their heart. It reminded me that I'm not the only person who struggles and goes through bumpy times. Everyone has those times in their life. No one is perfect.

What really shocked me though was how many young men walked before the church and shared these struggles that were hurting so much in their lives. As a young woman of God, I want a strong, Christian man for a husband someday. I need a man who is going to be able to lead our family in the ways of God and who will be the spiritual head of our home. As I watched all these young men file to the front of the church and then back to their seats, I wondered where the bold men of God are. And then I realized the answer: they are there, but they just haven't had an example set before them to follow. Somewhere along the way the ideal strong, Christian husband and father disappeared from the picture. We see less men being leaders and strong dads and husbands because they were never shown what that really looks like.

It almost sounds like it is a never-ending spiral downward with no end. But it's not. One way that young men can be fashioned and shaped into the men of God who they are supposed to be is if we as young women of God will pray for them. Not praying so that God will bring us our husbands faster, but that when he does bring them our way that they will be ready, prepared and willing to lead as God would have them lead. Our men need our prayers. Whether it be our friends, brothers, dads, cousins; whoever they are, they need us to lift them before the Lord.

I know that my dad has set the most awesome example for my brother of how to be a godly husband and father. But what about those young men who know nothing of that earthly example? What are they supposed to do? Somehow, someway, they either will have to look to an earthly mentor or counselor or solely rely on God. God is the best example of a husband and a father that the world has ever known. He loves his bride relentlessly, never loving her any less for her sin or forgetfulness of him. He is a father who craves the intimacy of his children, never loving them any less for their disobedience and stubbornness.

The makings of a man are found in God. You may not be a guy reading this, and if you're not, then pray for each and every man in your life. Pray that somehow God will get a hold of them and they will be the strong, warrior poet men of God that God has called them to be. And if you are a guy reading this whether you've had an earthly example of a godly husband and father or not; look to God as your ultimate example. As women, we need security knowing that the men we marry will be equipped as devoted followers of Christ to lead our families.

I know I need to pray more for the men in my life. I especially need to pray more for the man God has for me instead of complaining that he is not a part of my life yet. I know that God has all of that planned out, and yes, as much as I don't know how to do this sometimes, I have to give God my whole-hearted trust.

This cycle of lazy, slacking husbands and fathers that our generation is seeing more and more of today has to stop somewhere. I believe that if women of prayer will be on their on knees for their men, then it will begin somewhere in the midst of that prayer. It is time to break the silence.

Have a good week,
Jana

3 comments:

Lea said...

This is a very insightful post and I believe you are right. We need to complain less about the men in our lives and pray more for them.

Also, I think you are spot on about praying for your future husband. The two things I prayed for a lot when I was waiting for my husband were: 1. That God would prepare me for the husband He had planned for me...that God would QUICKLY:) grow me to be the wife I needed to be for my future husband. And 2. That God would prepare my future husband to be the man God wanted him to be.

I probably prayed for 'quickly' too much but I'm sure God understood:).

Great post, as usual, Jana.
Love you and miss you! Looking forward to seeing you soon!

Hannah said...

I agree with all that you said, but I want to add a little bit.

Sometimes, the young men DO have a great father figure to follow, but they stumble anyway. If they are truly good, then they will repent for their sins and work harder than ever to seek God's will.
My husband doesn't have a perfect past, yet he has an AMAZING father-figure. He struggled here and there, and stumbled. But that didn't mean he was a bad guy or a bad Christian. That just meant he was human.
What made him a good man, in my eyes, is the fact that he made the decision to rise above what was causing him to stumble. He knew God deserved better from him.
Now he is a strong leader and has been a youth pastor before.

The same goes for women. I had a great mother (and grandmother, for that matter) who are great, strong Christian women who set great examples for me to follow. Unfortunately, as you know, there came a few times in my life that I ignorantly chose to veer off the right path.
Did that make me a bad Christian? If I chose to continue destructing my life, then, probably yeah. But I chose to go running back to God, and I ended up being stronger in the end. No one, except God/Christ, is perfect.

Sorry, didn't mean to write a book, lol.

Jana H said...

No, I didn't mean to say that because we have Christian figures in our life that we are perfect, but we are more apt to stay on God's will. Everyone makes mistakes and sins. But it is harder for guys who don't have that example to look to God. I mean right now my brother isn't exactly where he should be with God even though my dad is an awesome man of God. It just means that it is his personal thing he has to deal with. I know that no one is perfect.