Saturday, January 31, 2009

Well.....

My first full week back was okay. Aside from the ice and snow and cold weather, it was good. I like most of my classes, and I've already met a lot of new people. Tonight my roommate invited two girls over and we watched the Count of Monte Cristo until one o'clock. It was really fun.

My two favorite classes are Old Testament History and (dare I say it), Biology. I didn't think I would like Biology at all because I hate science and math, but I do. Most of the reason why I like it is the professor. He's really good at what he teaches and he makes it easy to understand. I've grown to learn even in this first week back that a professor makes or breaks a class.

My computing and intro to music classes I think will be easy because I already know a lot about both subjects. I'm not saying I won't learn new things, but they won't be classes I will have to stress about. I'm also in a psych class that I think will end up being easier than what I thought on the first day. My other class that I'm in is a class called Critical Thinking. It's good so far. The class ends right before Spring Break so I can't complain.

I've worked out twice this week, which isn't much, but it's good for me, especially on the first week back. After tonight (yes we had some food to go along with our movie) I'm going to need to eat lightly tomorrow and really work-out good.

The snow is melting although it left behind a lovely amount of slush. My roommate and I also rearranged our room today and it looks really good. We moved by bed up against the wall and brought the tv over to where our beds are. So now we can actually watch tv from our beds. It's really nice. And on the other side of the room there is a lot more space. (Hey, Katlyn, I guess we kind of got a work-out doing that. Wink, wink.)

I've come to a realization that might have hit more over break than it has since I've been back. I think I am going to stick with writing for my major for now. I had thought about looking into this thing called the Indian Health Program that gives scholarships to students who major in certain health fields. To do this I would've majored in either psych or sociology. Right now, neither of those seem appealing. I was at home one day over break just writing, and I realized that God has given me this gift. I've already written what I call a novel, and I know he wouldn't have given this to me for nothing. Writing is a big part of my life. If someone told me tomorrow that I could never write again, I don't know what I would do. It's almost like second nature to me. I know that I will have to trust God for money and other things, but what is life if all of it is mapped out perfectly without relying on God? That's not life. Life is trusting him and knowing that he will work everything out in his timing, in his way, and that it will far surpass anything I could imagine.

I was going through some books that I brought to college tonight (realizing that I brought too many :) surely not ) and I found one that had belonged to my great-grandmother. I don't know if my aunt had it first or if I got it after she died. But the copyright date read 1883. That book is over 120 years old. It is called Wellsprings of Life. It just has little tidbits of information on certain aspects of life. But the cover is beautiful and the pages are worn and yellowed. Books that old are such treasures. People who have been dead for a very long time held that book and wrote in it and probably just thought it was any old book. But to me, 126 years later, it's like gold. I want to write something like that someday and then 120 years later (if Jesus hasn't come back) I want to impact some one's life for the better because of it. Books capture me into their pages, into the folds of intricately planned stories. It's kind of how God has planned and written a story for each of our lives and we all fall into place in the story. Other than my love for my God and my family, I've never been so passionate about anything else.

So, yeah, I'm sticking with writing for now. I don't see myself doing anything else unless God tells me otherwise.

It's late, and I need to do some things tomorrow. Good night.

1 comment:

Lea said...

Well, that sounds great. When you feel that passionate about something and you follow it, you know you are headed in the right direction. Stick to what God is telling you and has given you and you can't go wrong.

I think I remember looking at that book, so I think it might have been one of the ones that I had upstairs. I hope you enjoy it.