Wednesday, February 4, 2009

God's Grace and Love!

So yesterday, I had another learning experience about God's amazingness.

I was out of class by 10:45 yesterday morning, and I didn't have anything until 12:30, my bio lab. Well, I thought I would go to Wal-Mart and run some errands in my hour and forty-five minute break. I didn't want to waste any time. So I headed back to my room after I ate lunch, and then headed to Wal-Mart. As I was backing out of the dorm parking lot, I noticed that my steering wheel was hard to turn. I thought it was weird, but I didn't think much about it. Well, then I noticed when I put it into drive that the gas pedal was hard to push down. This didn't surprise me because when I first started driving the truck I noticed the gas pedal stuck in a certain spot. I just usually give the pedal a little more pressure when this happens and it works just fine. Not so yesterday. I was almost out of the parking lot when I really stepped on it, and it just kind of flopped. There was no normal pressure to it, no normal "gas pedal" feeling. It felt like it was broken. Thank goodness it still ran and didn't stop moving on me in the middle of the road. It only went like 10 miles an hour, though. But I guess that's better than getting it stuck at like sixty miles an hour. That wouldn't have been good at all. And praise the Lord the brake pedal still worked. So I just kind of coasted into a parking lot nearest to where I was, and I was already just panicking and freaking out.

I called my dad and I was on the verge of tears. He told me to call the guy who had worked on my truck first semester. Then he could tell I was crying and asked me why I was upset. This wasn't a very good statement for him to make because (1) I didn't even know gas pedals could do this, and (2) I'm a girl, by myself, only back at college my second week, and I didn't know what to do. I told him I was flustered, and he, of course, told me not to worry about it. Mr. Fix It.

So I went into the dorm and found the number to the auto shop and called them. To make a long story short they didn't actually get to my truck until 3:30 yesterday afternoon. They actually came to the school to look at it. I popped the hood and the guy knew exactly where to look. I'm not going to try to explain what was wrong, but it was all due to the mechanism that controls my gas pedal cable not having enough lubrication. It was caught on something and that's why the pedal "broke." So he fixed it enough that I could drive it out to the shop. He followed me all the way and told me that if it went out again, he would tow it. Thankfully, I made it to the shop just fine. When I got there, he just sprayed some stuff on the mechanism and now it works so well.

The thing I learned the most with this is that no matter how insignificant or trivial a problem may be, God is still in control. I was so flustered yesterday. I was freaking out and not trusting him and afterwards, I was sorry I hadn't trusted God from the beginning. And the best thing of all was that it didn't cost me anything. The guys at that auto shop are the most amazing guys in the world when it comes to cars. They are so nice, especially to the college students because they know we are poor.

Anyway, just wanted to share. Just remember that no matter what life throws at you, no matter what "gas pedal breaks" in your life; God is right there waiting to fix it if we will trust him and let him into our lives. I think I've been pushing God away lately. Not consciously, but I've still been doing it. Yesterday was a way of him pulling in the reigns for me. He called to me and I heard him. I ran into his open arms. One is grace, the other love.

5 comments:

Lea said...

Very nice post and how very correct you are. I'm glad you were able to get it fixed and that it didn't cost you a bundle.

Thanks for the comment. Miss you, dear niece.

ChandraJoy said...

Oh you poor dear. That reminds of the time when I was at Tinker and Wal-mart forgot to put my oil filter on and my car was dying and then started smoking! Where I had my steering wheel titled prevented me from seeing the oil light!

I called my daddy upset too and he was trying to calm me down. THEN, when I took it to the dealership to get it checked out after they "fixed" it, I locked my keys in the car with it running! Again, I call my daddy crying!

I'm glad it was something that was easy to fix. (((HUGS)))

Jana H said...

Love to you both. And thank you for your comments.

Aubrey said...

This is a nice story. Im glad your truck is better.
I hope your doing ok. Love you.
oo..p.s. I especially like the "because he knows we're poor part." it made me laugh!!!. =D

Jana H said...

Yeah, it's true. They give all college students a 10% discount. They are like a blessing from God.