Friday, August 12, 2011

Hopeful

This summer has kind of gone by like a whirlwind. One minute, I was packing my things to head to camp for the summer, and as I turn around, I find myself ready to pack my things to head back for my senior year of college.

God has taught me so much my first three years of college. He definitely taught me so much this summer as well. I know this last year of college will not be any different. But to be very honest, I am a little nervous. Maybe it's a healthy kind of nervous.

Despite my fear or my uneasiness about entering this last year of school, I know where my trust lies, with the Lord. He has proven himself worthy of my trust time and time again, and I know he will never fail me.

So often in my walk with the Lord, and even right now looking ahead, I just don't know what to expect or what will come. But just like I told my students all summer long, as Christians we wear proverbial blindfolds. We can't see what's coming next. Only the Lord sees our futures. We are called to simply trust. Now it's time for me to accept that in my life as well. The Lord always shows me how to trust in one thing and then asks me take a bigger step and trust in him even more, which makes sense. Sometimes it's just tough.

This summer, the Psalms were a great comfort for me. This portion of Psalm 73 has spoken and continues to speak so much truth into my life.

v. 23-28: "Nevertheless, I am continually with you; you hold my right hand. You guide me with your counsel, and afterward you will receive me to glory. Whom have I in heaven but you? And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides you. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. For behold, those who are far from you shall perish; you put an end to everyone who is unfaithful to you. But for me it is good to be near God; I have made the Lord God my refuge, that I may tell of all your works."

My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. It doesn't matter what happens this year or what God calls me to. He is my portion. Without him, I am nothing. His burden is easy and his yolk is light; I am called to trust. I pray these verses are true in my own life.

So yes, I am slightly anxious for the upcoming year. Saying I wasn't would be a lie. But I am also hopeful. God will do great things.

No comments: