Sunday, August 21, 2011

My Last First Day of School

So tomorrow is my last first day of school. That's so weird, at least it's the last first day of school where I am a student. If I land a teaching job after graduation, I'll have first days of school, but it will be from a whole new perspective.

I was able to work Welcome Week this year, what out university does to welcome in the new freshman. It was great for me to interact with them and get to know them before classes started. We had a bunch of freshman and new students over to our house tonight, and we played games and had a lot of fun. This year's freshmen are great. They're very chill and very fun.

I remember the first day of my freshman year of college. I was so nervous, and I felt so awkward. I even remember what I wore. Isn't that weird? I think back to my freshman year, and I praise the Lord that He changed me and made me a new person.

Being a senior feels so weird. It's just one of those things that I never thought would arrive in my life, and here it is. But what's so cool is that everywhere I've turned during Welcome Week, Jeremiah 29:11 has been right there. "'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord. 'Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future.'" I've heard this verse my whole life. Sometimes I feel quoting it or studying it becomes cliche or old-school. But it's the word of God. It's truth. It will never be cliche or old-school; it is powerful and from the mouth of God. Who am I to doubt it or turn my back on it?

Thus far in my life, God has proven that verse to be true. Who am I to say he's going to change now? What comforts me most about this verse is that the Lord knows the plans he has for me, not plans that I have for me, plans he has for me. Throughout this summer, I had to tell myself that this day, this week, this month, this life is not about me. God is my everything, and he wants me to trust him to do everything for me. I am not to live this life on my own.

So yes, tomorrow is my last first day of school, but I know I am living the plan God purposed for my life. I know I am living in his plan because it's happening, and what he plans happens. God is good, and if he's taught me anything in the past three years, it's that I can trust him, completely, unashamedly, wholeheartedly. I love him. So incredibly much, I love him.

He has a plan for me, to prosper me and not to harm me, to give me a hope and a future.

Until next time,
God Bless

1 comment:

Lea said...

What a great title:). Hard to believe, isn't it? It's going to be a wonderful last year and how exciting to see what God has in store for you after this! I'm looking forward to hearing about your new classes and how things are going. LOVE YOU and MISS YOU!!