Friday, November 14, 2008

Lots of Stuff

I've been thinking about being an RA next year. When you are an RA here, you get room and board paid for which means I wouldn't have to pay for housing or any of my meals. That would be a great blessing.

This last Wednesday here at Chapel we had special speaker Mike Yankowski, author of Under the Overpass. He spoke at Chapel and he spoke Wednesday night. It was so good to hear him speak. His book is about when he and a friend spent five months going to six different U.S. cities and yes, they became homeless for five months. They went to Denver, Washington, D.C., Portland, San Fransisco, San Diego, and Phoenix. They spent around three weeks at each city. They learned so much about going from selfishness to selflessness. He's a great speaker. Another thing he does is that he's a partner with Compassion International. He came with a table of children to sponsor, and my friend Tarah and I decided to sponsor a little girl. She's from Indonesia and her name is Devi. She's seven years old. I'm so excited to get to be doing this. One of the things he talked about was living on less. It takes $32 a month to sponsor a child and we are going to split that so it will be sixteen dollars a month for each of us. That's not too much, but we've already caught ourselves not spending money on things to save for Devi.

Next week I have three tests. I have an American Government test, a Fit and Well test, and a college algebra test. And I also have my post-test for fit and well where we have to run/walk 1.5 miles. I'm not excited for that. Fun, fun. Oh well, I'll just have to keep plugging on until Thanksgiving break. I have a week off and I'm so excited.

I've also been asked to help lead a Bible study for a camp this next summer. I attended the camp last summer. It's a camp for children whose parents are in prisons all over Oklahoma. I'm really excited for that too. My dad is even thinking about coming as a sponsor next summer too. I hope he gets to. It would be good for the kids to see an awesome man of God.

So much stuff is going on. I look back on what I was doing this time last year, and I didn't even know where I was going to college. Now I'm in college. God is so good and provides in ways we never expect. I'm learning to depend on him and trust him in everything. I praise him that he's a faithful God. I don't deserve his love or grace, but he never fails to lavish them on me. It's a great mystery, this love of God, and I pray that it never loses that mystery.

Well, I think I've rambled long enough. Have a safe and blessed weekend.

3 comments:

Aubrey said...

Hey dear!!..Thank you so much...although I don't think I have but 2 or 3 finals...which I thank God for....but anyways...it's so funny because my HPE field test is on Tuesday and we have to walk/run 1.5 miles as well!!..hahah...I find that rather amusing!..anyways..I hope you do well on your tests this week...I think it's great you and Tarah are supporting a little girl...that's so cool. I was actually thinking about being an RA next year, but decided to wait till my Junior year...And I got to thinking...What time will you get home nxt Friday??...call me we need to talk this over...I have a choir concert I think Mama is coming to, and it would be awesome if u could come with here..but if not I am going home next weekend..So I could see you before I leave. Anyways. LOVE YOU!!..=)

Lea said...

I think becoming an RA is a wonderful idea and you will be great at it! (So will Aubrey when she decides to do it:).

I am so happy for both of you, that you are so happy with the schools that you chose. God has indeed blessed you both and has blessed our family so abundantly.

Katlyn said...

I love the layout!