Sunday, December 7, 2008

My Last Week of Classes!

So this semester has absolutely flown by. I can't believe that my last week of classes is this week. It seems like I was just starting college yesterday. Time sure does fly by fast.

I have two tests this week, and then I have three finals during finals week. This week here at college is our Christmas Festivities Week. There is something going on everyday, and that's super exciting. Tonight I'm going to watch a concert held our chapel of the symphonic winds, the orchestra, and the high school and college chorals. I'm sure it will be great.

Keep praying for me about the whole waiting situation with guys, my major, and just life. I think the five week break will be a definite time of relaxation and reflection for me.

This morning I went to a church that I had been to about a month ago, and I enjoyed it again today. The pastor talked about making the word of God an everyday part of your life. I will admit that I'm reading my Bible more now than I was this time last year. I think I was just too busy last year (which is no excuse), but this is the first time in my life that I know I wouldn't survive without God's word. It's become an essential to my life.

One of my cousins posted on her blog that she was tired of all of the consumerism of Christmas. I agree with her. I wanted to add something that a recent speaker at my college said. He was talking about how it would cost around 10 billion dollars to install water systems that work in third world countries all over the world. I don't know if that is one system or multiple, but it doesn't matter. Last year, Americans spent $450 billion dollars on Christmas, and I was right there in the middle of it. But we spent all that money celebrating a man who told us to be self-less. Yes, I know that the wise men brought gifts to Jesus, but that wasn't until he was between the ages of one and three. No where in the Bible is giving gifts at Christmas time mentioned. We don't even really know when Christ was born.

What I'm saying is that we could do things a lot different during this Christmas season. Instead of buying over hundreds of dollars of presents for people who probably don't need them, give money to a family who can't even have Christmas dinner. Do something Christ would do to really celebrate his birth.

Well, anyway, I'll get off my soapbox. I need to get ready for the concert. I will post more later.
Merry Christmas.

1 comment:

Lea said...

Wow, this semester really has flown by, hasn't it? I can't believe you and Aubrey are both finishing your first semester. Wow, how times have changed.

Can't wait to get to spend some time with you at Christmas.
Much love,
Lea