Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Thanksgiving at Christmas

I was thinking today about all the things I have to be thankful for. A family who loves me, friends who I can have fun with, and an awesome Lord and Savior who loves me no matter what. But more than that I thought about the little things I am thankful for. Food to eat (and sometimes of which I eat too much when other people around the world have none), clothes to wear, a soft, warm bed to sleep in, shelter from snow and cold and wind, money in my checking account; however little it may seem, my three cousins in Tulsa, two who are little and one who is my age, my aunt and uncle in Tulsa, and I'm also very thankful for my health.

Everyone is so thankful and grateful around November and Thanksgiving, but when Christmas gets here, it's "gimme, gimme, gimme." How one month can change things. And isn't it kind of paradoxical that we celebrate how thankful we are for how much we have on Thanksgiving, but the following day, "Black Friday," we wake up at a ridiculous hour in the morning to stand in line for more stuff. I thought we were all just so thankful and that we couldn't ask for one more thing in the world. Tell that to the guy who was trampled at the Wal-Mart in Queens, New York.

I love Christmas, don't get me wrong, but I think we overlook the Jesus part of it which is really all of it. I'm very thankful that two thousand years ago a young, innocent girl had the humility and the faith to bring Jesus Christ into the world. She told the Lord that whatever he wanted she would do. Joseph had the courage and the faith to trust in the Lord even when it would've been okay in that day to shun Mary since she was supposed to be pure until they were married, although he didn't know what was happening yet. Just the same, the two of them weren't very old and they didn't have much experience with life. But they had an awesome amount of faith and courage. I'm thankful for them and their example.

So yeah, Santa and Frosty and Rudolph and presents are great, but don't overlook why we celebrate Christmas in the first place. And count your blessings, even though Thanksgiving is over.

Other than that, school is going well. I had a test today and then I have another test on Thursday which is actually a final that we're taking early. God keeps showing me how amazing he is in the little things I'm learning. I'm starting to realize that He is my best friend. I can tell him anything and go to him at any time of day or night and he doesn't care if I interrupt his slumber because he doesn't sleep. He's just a great God.

Well, I'm going to call it a night. I hope you have a very Thankful Christmas.

No comments: