Sunday, October 12, 2008

One More Week

I have one more week of being eighteen. That doesn't seem possible. It just feels like I turned eighteen yesterday. I'm going home this weekend to see my family and celebrate my two little cousins' birthdays as well. I can't wait to see them. It's been over two months since I've seen them, and I bet they are just as big as they can be. I miss them so much.

My mom and cousin came up this weekend to visit me. It was really good to see them. They are staying for chapel tomorrow to hear Don Piper speak. He wrote the book 90 Minutes in Heaven. I can't wait to hear him speak. I've heard him speak before, but I'm super excited to hear him speak again.

I'm praying about changing my major. God has brought so much to my mind lately. I just don't know where to begin. I think I mentioned I had read a book entitled Set-Apart Femininity. Well, I finished it, and it really woke me up to what a set-apart woman of God should look like in this day and age. I think one of the things it talked about really hit home. I've dreamed of falling in love for so long all the while telling God he was writing my love story. But so many times I would try to look and guess and see if I could find the man of my dreams. It was really bad when I first got to college because there was a whole new sea of fish, so to speak. But one of the points Leslie Ludy makes in her book is that we have to fall in love with Jesus and let him capture our hearts before we can fall in love on earth. She says that we have to come to the point that if we were single for the rest of our lives, we'd be okay with that because Jesus is more than enough. Heaven knows I'm not there yet, but that's where I want to be. I don't want to constantly think about a guy. I want to constantly think about God. I want to fall madly in love with Him. Another thing she talked about was the type of entertainment we watch and how we waste our time on it. I don't watch that many movies, but since I've been at college, I've watched more PG-13 movies than I have when I was at home. Not horrible, awful movies, but they've still been PG-13. And I've been convicted about that. I know I shouldn't be watching them. After reading this book and reading tons of scripture, I am going back to the "rule" that my parents had when I was growing up: no PG-13 movies. I don't even want to watch them. She said in her book that we would be thought odd truly living a set-apart life. But I don't really care. I'm going to live by the word of God and if anyone wants to make fun, they can take it up with God. He is what matters now. I'm really sick of living a sedentary "Christian" lifestyle.

What I'm really excited about though is the Wednesday night ministry we have here called Whitehouse. It's great. I get to minister to and talk to girls that are hurting and who need love. This week, as much as possible, I want to try to connect with them outside of Whitehouse. There is girl whose name is Jordan. She's a senior in high school here, and she's thinking about coming to college here. She's thinking about living in the same dorm as me, so I've told her if she wants to come hang out some time, she's more than welcome. It's all about investing in these girls' lives.

Well, I don't have to get up that early tomorrow, but I still need to head to bed and get that beauty sleep (wink wink). I will keep updating, and you keep praying.

2 comments:

ChandraJoy said...

Hey Sweetie!

I've been keeping up with your blog! I can read pretty easy while holding Piper, but I can't always type too well! Sounds like college is treating you well! I'm proud of you! I will keep you in my prayers as you listen for guidance on your major.

Katlyn said...

Aww roomie you're such an inspiration to me...probably even more than you know! I am so glad we got to be roommates...God did good putting us together. ;) I'm thrilled to see how much God is working in your life. He's working pretty hard in mine too. Luv ya!