Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Saying Goodbye

So today I had to say goodbye to my great-grandma. I leave for my mission trip in 2 days, and I'm only going to work one more week when I get back. For that week, I'm going to drive back and forth from home. Today was the last day at my grandma's house.

It was hard to say goodbye. Not that I was torn about what to do, but seeing the look in her eyes made me so sad. When I was bringing all my stuff out, she said, "Oh, I hate to see this." It hurts to hear her say that, but I can't stay down here forever. I think she thought I was going to say even when school started, so she was disappointed to hear I was going home so early.

She was sad to see me go, but I know she enjoyed the company. She must have said three or four times how much she loved me and hated to see me go. I told her thank you for letting me stay with her, and she said it was her pleasure. I don't doubt for a minute that it was.

I hate that she's by herself all the time, but it's not like there is no one around here to stay with her. Most of her family lives down here, so in my opinion, she shouldn't be lonely, but yet she still is. I'm not going to say anymore about that because it is a touchy subject.

Anyway, two days until I leave. I talk to you later. Bye.

2 comments:

Lea said...

I totally understand. It is hard to say goodbye to her, knowing how lonely she gets. It's just not the same having people stop by for visits as having someone staying at nights and being there when you wake up in the morning. I know she really felt blessed by your stay though and, although it was hard for you at first, I'm glad you were able to experience it and get to know her just a little bit better too. I know I felt very blessed to have gotten to stay with her some, when she was recovering from her fall and I felt like I got to know her a bit better, which was wonderful. She is a very special grandma.

Have fun on your trip! I'm looking forward to your stay with us when you get back!

ChandraJoy said...

I can imagine how hard it was to leave her. We are usually rushed when we are down and don't get to stay near as long as she would like for us to. I'm sure she was very thankful for the time she had with you. We have a wonderful great-grandmother, don't we?

I hope you have a great trip! I look foward to hearing all about it!